Driffield man has been arrested on suspicion of arson, after hay valued at £40,000 was set alight in Beverley Road, Beeford.
A police patrol discovered the fire at around 2.05am on Wednesday, December 30.
A 53-year-old man was later arrested and has been released on bail until a date next month, pending further enquiries.
Officers investigating this latest incident are now appealing for anyone with information to call 101, quoting log number 44 of December 30.
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Farmers are also urged to take steps to take precautions to help reduce the risk of being targeted
Julie Turrell, Rural Crime Officer, Humberside Police said: “Why someone would deliberately set fire to a store of straw is difficult to comprehend. Taking precautions to prevent such incidents is one of the key factors in avoiding becoming a victim of such a crime.”
• Ensure the site where bales are stored is as secure as possible
• Hay and straw should be removed from fields as soon as possible after harvesting, stored away from other buildings, in stacks of reasonable size, spaced at least 10 metres apart.
• Store away from livestock
• Petrol, diesel and other fuels should be stored in secure areas; storage tank outlets should be padlocked. Fertilisers and pesticides should be kept under lock and key.
• Rubbish should be disposed of safely and on a regular basis.
• Electrical safety checks should be carried out and firefighting equipment should be check frequently.
• Prepare a fire routine and action plan to ensure all farm workers know what to do in the event of a fire.
• Ensure cigarettes are fully extinguished in an appropriate container.
• Where possible, regularly check and maintain open water supplies for firefighting.
If a fire does break out:
• Call the Fire and Rescue Service without delay.
• If possible, send someone to the farm entrance to direct the Fire and Rescue Service to the fire to help save time.
• Prepare to evacuate livestock should the fire spread.
• Prepare to use farm machinery to assist the Fire and Rescue Service.