Property developers Linden Homes have expressed their delight after plans for their 84-dwelling development was approved by the East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s planning committee.
The original plans were submitted back in September 2016 for the residential units on land to the east of Spellowgate in Driffield, which is south of the A614 bypass and north of the Lowndes Park estate.
It appears that of the 84 dwellings, there will be 19 two-bedroom, 30 three-bedroom and 27 four-bedroom houses, along with eight socially rented properties, with six marked for affordable housing.
Andy Cramer, Technical Director for Linden Homes East Yorkshire, said: “We are delighted that the plans submitted to the planning committee were approved and we are now working closely with the local authority to conclude the associated planning legal agreement.
“Once that is complete, we expect to start work on site in early summer and the development will take around three years to complete.
“It will comprise a mix of 84 two, three and four-bedroom homes – including some affordable housing.”
A petition was set up by a group of residents regarding the development with over 100 residents in opposition and the majority currently living in close proximity to the plot on Lowndes Park, Spellowgate, Whitelands, Copse Mead and Orchard Close.
The petitioners listed seven main objections against the building of the houses which were:-
• Building on farming, green belt land
• Problems of road access as a result of the increase in traffic on Spellowgate especially as it is a narrow road
• The proposed density of the housing is too high and will change the character of the area
• The existing services in Driffield are inadequate with regard to the provision of schools and health
• At present, there has been no flooding in this area and if as a result of this development flooding occurs, legal advice will be sought
• Driffield no longer has any industry, therefore, there are no job opportunities
• The devaluation of properties in Lowndes Park and Spellowgate.