Finishing touches are being made to the festive decorations and lights which will shine throughout Driffield town centre this Christmas. The dazzling Driffield Christmas festival and light switch-on will take place this Friday (1st December) and marks the start of seasonal celebrations in the town.
Once again, your local newspaper, the Driffield & Wolds Weekly, is throwing its full support behind the event by sponsoring the traditional family evening of entertainment.
A Christmas market will kick-off the celebrations throughout the afternoon and the entertainment will continue into the evening with a family fun fair, children’s competitions, tombola and hog roast.
Music and entertainment will create a festive atmosphere on Market Place with music from the Buckrose Concert Band and the Driffield Rock Choir and street entertainment from Bandanarama, the Gorgeous Girls and the Aristocrats.
The festive fun, which is being hosted by Great Yorkshire Radio, will see Mayor Cllr Paul Rounding switching on the lights at 7pm.
The Christmas Market will set up and open at 2pm on Middle Street South and will see local food producers showcasing their products and local artisans and craftsmen offering fantastic handmade gift ideas, as well as already established local businesses taking the opportunity to promote themselves.
Town centre roads will be closed from 12 noon on Friday to accommodate the Driffield Christmas Festival. Market Place will be closed from the Cranwell Road junction, Mill Street from the Westgate junction, Exchange Street from the Eastgate junctions and George Street to the Union Street junction. Middle Street South will be closed to the King Street junction.
Shops and businesses are being encouraged to stay open until 8pm and use the evening as a real opportunity to kickstart their Christmas campaigns or promote their businesses. The Christmas lights are financed and erected by the Town Council.
The displays have been added to in recent years, with the introduction of the beautiful tree at Station Gardens, sponsored by Driffield in Bloom and Alfred Bekker APL Ltd.
Run Down for the Day:
- 2pm: Christmas Market
- 5pm: Entertainment hosted by Great Yorkshire Radio in Market Place
- 5:15pm: See Santa arrive into Driffield at Market Place on his glittering sleigh
- 5:30-6pm: Rock Choir in Market Place
- 6-6:10pm: Say ‘hello’ to the Aristocrats in Market Place
- 6:10-6:50pm: The Buckrose Concert Band
- 6:50-7pm: John Harding from Great Yorkshire Radio welcomes the Mayor Cllr Paul Rounding, Santa and Rev Nicky Scott to the stage
- 7pm: Driffield Christmas Lights are switched on!
- 7:01pm: ‘We Wish You A Merry Christmas’!! – followed by more festive music from The Buckrose Concert Band.