There have been a number of reported burglaries in the East Riding, where offenders have sneaked into homes via unlocked doors whilst the occupants of the house have either been in their home or have left their homes insecure.
The vast majority of thieves are opportunists, who target properties, outbuildings, garages and vehicles that have been left insecure. By ensuring that you do not leave your doors unlocked, or windows open when you are not in the room, you can dramatically reduce your risk of becoming their next victim.
It’s also important not to leave valuables, such as phones, tablets, purses, wallets and handbags within easy reach of open windows, as it takes just seconds to reach in, grab them and leave before you even realise they have gone missing.
Our top five tips for protecting your property from thieves are:
- Keep homes and outbuildings secure, with doors and windows locked.
- Make sure nothing of value is left on show to tempt thieves.
- Use your home or outbuilding alarms if you have one fitted.
- Registering valuables onto www.Immobilise.com to assist the police in recovering and returning stolen property. If items are stolen this assists the force in identifying property as stolen/lost, bring offenders to justice and stop the items being sold via second hand stores.
- Be our eyes and ears by calling 999 if there is a crime in progress, 101 with information about those involved in crime or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.