‘Active Coast’ will be back for summer 2018 from Sunday, 22 July, with a full programme of events and activities throughout the school holidays to celebrate sport and culture and allow people to explore, join in, and enjoy the East Riding’s stunning coastline.
The programme is designed for residents and visitors to get active, be healthy and enjoy life in the area, with events at Bridlington, Hornsea and Withernsea.
Highlights of the varied summer programme include:
- The Beach Sports Festival at Bridlington South Cliff Beach on 22 July
- Have A Beach Day events at Bridlington South & South Cliff Beaches on 26 July, 16 and 30 August
- UK Pro Beach Volleyball Tour and CEV European Beach Volleyball Festival : 11 and 12 August : Bridlington South Cliff Beach
- Have A Field Day events in Hornsea on 2 August, Sewerby cliff top on 9 August, and Withernsea Valley Gardens on 23 August
- The Withernsea Carnival and Hut Family Day on 27 July
- Play in a Week : 6-10 August : Bridlington Spa: a week of Disney-themed fun activities
- Sand and Stone Family Weekend Workshops in Bridlington, Withernsea and Hornsea
- All Ride Open days every Tuesday on Bridlington North Promenade
- Sport and Play : weekly themed activity sessions in Hornsea and Withernsea
- Beach cricket with Yorkshire Cricket every Friday on Bridlington South Cliff Beach
- Beach tennis – every Friday on Bridlington South Cliff Beach
- Family Beach Bootcamp every Tuesday – on Bridlington South Beach
- Coastal Explorer days from Flamborough to Spurn Point
- Sewerby parkrun – every Saturday at 9am at Sewerby Hall & Gardens
Councillor Richard Burton, portfolio holder for leisure, tourism and culture, said : “Active Coast is well and truly back! I have no doubt that this extensive and varied summer programme will prove even more popular this year, with its exciting range of activities designed to get people healthier, whilst having fun at the same time, and making the most of the coast!”
The various Have A Beach Day events in Bridlington will include the mobile Clip ‘n Climb wall, art wall, Louder than Life drum workshops, a variety of beach sports including beach volleyball, football and tennis along with a range of play themed activities.
The Have A Field Day events in Hornsea, Sewerby and Withernsea will feature Giant Inflatables, the mobile Clip ‘n Climb wall, Cloud Collector Story Telling, drums with Louder than Life, balloon modelling, dance with Latin champions Chantal Green & Andrea Borrelli, Sumo Suits, Knock Yer Block Off, face painting and a range of multi sports.
Along with Bridlington Mile Marker walks, Skyball Beach Volleyball Club, weekly health walks, Sewerby Hall & Gardens family sessions, a world record attempt at the biggest game of beach volleyball and some new event features for 2018! – there really is something for everybody at Active Coast.
For details of the full programme, including timings, specific event activities, and locations please visit www.ActiveCoast.org . Also see the new School’s Out booklet, and follow Active Coast on Social Media.
The Met Office are predicting more warm sunshine for Yorkshire on Wednesday and Thursday.
Wednesday: A fine and warm day with plenty of sunshine. Some fair weather cloud may bubble up through the day, but it will remain dry. Maximum Temperature 22 °C.
Outlook for Thursday to Saturday: Dry, with plenty of warm sunshine Thursday. Another dry start Friday, but clouding over with strengthening wind and rain later. Breezy with sunny spells Saturday, but also heavy, blustery showers.