First goal proved a big moment for EI

ERCFA Senior Cup: Driffield Evening Institute’s run in the ERCFA Senior Cup came to an end with a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Vanarama National League North side North Ferriby United.

With their senior side involved in a fixture at Curzon Ashton, Ferriby’s line-up was made up predominantly of players from their Academy side, and it was the more experienced EI who started the brighter.

The home side had a great op­portunity to take the lead inside the opening ten minutes when James Syme was played through on goal. However, Syme’s goal-bound effort was well saved by Ferriby’s goal­keeper.

EI were hit with a sucker-punch just a couple of minutes later when one half of Ferriby’s lively strike partnership slotted the ball cooly past Craig Baker to give the away side the lead against the run of play.

Ferriby were beginning to domi­nate possession, particularly down the left-hand side of the field, and it was no surprise when they doubled their lead with a strike from inside the area.
The second half started with EI finding their feet again, and they could easily have been back on level terms had it not been for a number of fantastic saves from Ferriby’s goal­keeper, who was putting in a man of the match display.

With twenty minutes left on the clock, EI grabbed the goal that their second half display deserved, when Syme headed home at the back post despite protestations from Ferriby, who believed one of their players had been fouled.

This was now an open affair, and it was EI who looked likely to even things up and take the game into extra-time.

A long ball forward from EI centre-back Dan Taylor put Syme in on goal. Just as it looked like Syme was going to pull the trigger, an excellent tackle from a recovering Ferriby defender put the ball out for what looked set to be an EI corner. However, inexplicably both the ref­eree and his assistant signalled for a goal kick.

Ferriby took full advantage of this fortuitous decision, breaking in behind the EI back-line to score at the near-post and seal their place in the last eight.

In the dying minutes of the game, the away side added a fourth to put some gloss on what was a decent display from their youthful side.

EI will have left the game know­ing that had they taken their chances, they could be in the hat for the quar­ter-finals, where the likes of Hull City and Bridlington Town await.
After the match, EI coach Rich­ard Grice bemoaned his side’s luck in front of goal: “We started the game well and should have gone 1-0 up, but straight after the chance we went 1-0 down which seemed to suck the life out of us.

“By half-time we were 2-0 down but had again missed a few good chances, even though Ferriby had the better of the half.
“We played much better in the second half, but just couldn’t score or find a bit of quality in the final third.

“After getting a goal back through Jimmy Syme, we felt that another one would come. Chances came and went but the ball just wouldn’t go in.
“The two we conceded late on were in injury time and to lose 4-1 wasn’t a fair reflection on the game but sometimes that’s football.

“Full credit to the young Ferriby side who dug in during the second half and at times played some good football and scored some decent goals.”

Full Time Result – Driffield EI 1 v 4 North Ferriby United.

Next up: Beverley Town (A), League, 2:00pm

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please allow ads on our site Ads help pay for our website and content. Switch off your ad-blocker and enjoy.