Driffield News

PHOTOS: Great Driffield AFC win first league match

Striker Jonny Blakeston wrote himself into the history books after scoring Great Driffield AFC’s first competitive goal as Curtis Woodhouse’s side thrashed Scarborough Athletic Reserves 4-0 in the Humber Premier League One opener at Allotment Lane.

A long time in the making and after a long and successful pre-season, it was finally time to get started with a sizeable crowd pitchside hoping for three points to get the new era underway.

Woodhouse named a starting XI mostly made up of players hailing from Driffield and the Wolds and it took just seven minutes for the home side to take the lead.

Excellent work from Jordan Shaw saw the Scarborough goalkeeper lose his bearings outside the penalty area and he gifted the ball to Blakeston, who made no mistake from 35 yards out.

Five minutes later, the lead was doubled when defender Jonny Morritt fired home from close range after getting on the end of a Matty Richardson corner.

That’s the way it stayed until 10 minutes into the second period when Blakeston doubled his goal tally, finishing off a scramble in the penalty area after another superb Richardson corner.

The scoring and a near-perfect first game was rounded off when Great Driffield captain Tim Taylor scored from the penalty spot.

Woodhouse told the Wolds Weekly he was delighted with the performance and attitude of his players, who executed his gameplan to perfection.

“I thought the attitude the lads showed was fantastic,” said the former Premier League and England Under-21 player.

“I said before the game that the outcome of the game would be determined by what we do without the ball, rather than what we do with it, and I thought how we pressed as a team and how we were organised was fantastic.

“You look at the first goal scored by Jonny and it came from Jordan pressing the goalkeeper, winning it back from him, giving Jonny an easy finish. That set the tone for how we played.

“Scoring two early goals let everyone settle down. I thought we were worthy of the two-goal lead, especially after starting like a house on fire in the opening 25 minutes.

“It was the start of a new era and everyone was bound to be a little bit nervous, but we had a great start.
“At half-time, I told the lads I wanted more of the same. I felt we had played well in the first half.

“However, what I did say was that we were against the wind in the second half, which I expected would help us as the ball often ran out of play in the first half.

“It meant we could get Jordan in a lot more down the sides with his pace and I also said that if we had opportunities to slow the game down that we should take them.

“It meant Scarborough had to force things and it frustrated them and they went down to 10 men with a sin bin.

“Our game plan worked perfectly in the second half and I thought the performance was excellent in a different way as we completely nullified Scarborough and slowed the game down whenever we could, which was very professional.

“It’s hard to single anyone out, as it was a very good team performance.

“I was really happy with the defence and Grant Halder for keeping a clean sheet.

“A lot of that came from the work that was done ahead of them. Tim was excellent in midfield, but there was no-one who I want to single out. It was just a good, solid team performance.”

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please allow ads on our site Ads help pay for our website and content. Switch off your ad-blocker and enjoy.