NEWS

HULL VETS ISSUES URGENT WARNING AFTER DOG SWALLOWS DEADLY VEGETABLE

A Hull veterinary practice is warning dog owners about the dangers of corn on the cob after a much-loved family pet needed life-saving surgery.

Cocker Spaniel Roman stole the vegetable while in the kitchen at his home in Hull and devoured it whole before anyone could stop him, landing him with an emergency trip to the vets.

X-ray scans revealed the solid object in the two-year-old’s stomach, which had to be removed during an operation.

Corn on the cob is not toxic for dogs but it is indigestible and likely to cause a blockage, preventing solids and fluids from moving through the stomach, which could prove fatal.

The vets is now warning owners to be extra vigilant when dogs are in the kitchen, near barbecues, picnics or around any waste as they can quickly gobble up food that can be deadly.

Vet Jordan Sinclair surgically removed the offending object by making a small incision in Roman’s stomach through which she carefully retrieved the cob before stitching up the wound.

He was closely monitored by the veterinary team for several hours before being discharged to rest at home.

Roman has since been back to Haven Vets for check-ups and has made a full recovery.

“Corn on the cob can cause choking in dogs or it is highly likely to cause a blockage as it passes through the gastric tract if they do manage to swallow it,” said Jordan.

“They will start being sick and if it gets lodged in the intestine it can cause parts of the gut to die off and affect the blood supply to those areas.

“There’s a risk the dog could become very ill or even die. Thankfully Roman’s owners acted very quickly, which is really important and made it much more likely that he went on to make a full recovery.

“I would urge dog owners to be extra careful with any food at home and when out walking. If you think they have swallowed something they shouldn’t, get them to the vet as soon as possible.”

Roman’s owners Danielle and Kevin Shaw have thanked the vets for saving his life.

Danielle said: “That’s the first time Roman has done that. He never normally chews anything in the house, he runs off with the occasional sock but always gives it back.

“But he snatched the corn and swallowed it in one. I feared the worst. Thankfully we live about two minutes from Haven Vets in Hull, and they were great with him.

“We’ve taken him there since he was a puppy and I can’t thank them enough. We had to be strict with Roman while he recovered to make sure he rested but he is absolutely fine now.”

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please allow ads on our site Ads help pay for our website and content. Switch off your ad-blocker and enjoy.